Thursday, August 14, 2008

I is for Innovation

Imaginative fashions delight and intrigue. We all love to see something new and different for a change... right, darlings?

What really impressed CC on the fall runways was the exquisite variety of materials, ranging from PVC to wood! Designers utilized rare and unexpected media such as stingray, metal, polyurethane, copper, plexiglass and resin.
If the runways are any indication: life in plastic is fantastic!!

At top left:
Chanel plastic suit, courtesy nymag.com.
Reminds CC a bit of a shower curtain . . .


Here at left:
Aina Gassè Autumn 2008 plastic detail gown, via Italian Vogue
Trusardi dress, via nymag.com
Zucca nylon taffeta sleeveless dress, at lagarconne.com
HANDBAGS


Chado Ralph Rucci wooden base bag; this and next courtesy style.com
Fendi leather and stingray clutch
Marc Jacobs clutch (the Cadillac of handbags?) and Balenciaga booties; photo via wwd.com
Stella McCartney “wooden box” handbag, via style.com – a cross between a mini tool box and a train case. Delightful!
FOOTWEAR

Givenchy Bird Cage ankle bootie.
Visit shopbop.com.
CC’s fave ? These intricately decorated Chloé crocodile wrapped pumps. They’re purple, they’re chic, and they’re unique!
Stella McCartney satin and metal pump, featured in W Magazine
At right:
Sculptural Dior purple suede cutout wedge, available at Neiman Marcus



Above left:

Dsquared2 lightning bolt metal heel platforms.

Near left:
John Galliano suede and copper platform sandal.


Both photos courtesy style.com.
JEWELRY

Benedicte Rivet plexiglass necklace.

Go to shoplanguage.com.
Laura Kranitz necklace. Visit laurakranitz.com for more interesting finds!
Doesn’t this Emilio Pucci belt look like it belongs on Superman’s home planet?
Photo via style.com.
CC was also quite taken with all the “caged” fashions for fall.

EXQUISITE EXOSKELETONS

At left:
Chanel Couture,
detail photo courtesy style.com
Louis Vuitton, courtesy nymag.com

Louis Vuitton exposed underpinnings;

detail photo via style.com
Sophia Kokosalaki bodice detail, via style.com
Jean Paul Gaultier Couture velvet exoskeleton cape, via nymag.com
Jean Paul Gaultier “helmet”, courtesy vogue.fr

Jean Paul Gaultier Couture
Bodice detail;

photo courtesy style.com
Jean Paul Gaultier Couture,
courtesy nymag.com.
The caged bride sings?

Which of these innovations is your favorite?

To you, which designer is most imaginitive?
Do you find these looks wearable, or too conceptual?

44 comments:

Unknown said...

innovation <3 love that anything goes.. shoes have been fantastic lately..

Myriam said...

The purple dior shoes..yumyum

Sharon S said...

hi there-a great post!!Certainly these designs are innovative and imaginative, some wearable, some not!! I would love the Dior wedges, these are fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

wow. .. those shoes are heaven.

and the exoskeletons too. amazing.

Hanne said...

The Stella McCartney “wooden box” handbag was gorgeous. I'm not sure when to use it, but it's really eye-candy;)

Sarah said...

OMG i love everything here, especially the 2nd dress and the 4th! Sooo PRETTY! Sighs. I want!

S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said...

There is so much beaut in this post it's ridiculous!
The Fendi cluth is to die for.
And the Diors! Oh my! Truly fantastical stuff.

Angela said...

Hihi CC, these RTW are too fashion forward for me. But, I adore all the shoes. They are great to try out something new and different. Just a little bit of innovation is good for me. In case it's a faux pas, shoes are cheaper than RTW any day. : ) have a savvy day!

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

i actually love the shower curtain-esque dress. all of these options are wonderfully innovative :)

María Pilar Bernal Maya said...

How beautiful shoes and bags!!! Everthing is fantastic but I´m a shoes+bad addicted. My favourite are: the Marc Jacobs clutch and the Stella McCartney satin and metal pump.
Cute post!
kss
;-)

Vain and Vapid said...

I love the use of alternative materials in fashion, especially designers like Stella McCartney who won't use leather but use other high end alternatives to make beautiful shoes and bags.

Wuthering said...

i'm agreeing with the majority.
the innovative designs for shoes are wonderful. Great taste CC!

I think it was brilliant that you brought us through the progression of civilization.

After seeing a cathedral on blog 'Make it Work', i have to say, i'm definitely ready for a culture with more omnipresence.

Fantastic Post!

Shay said...

Great post title and I adore all the cagey things, wish I was brave enough to take them on.

STYLE AND THE CITY . COM - PARIS said...

Hi from Paris stylish Carrie !

Great and good news !!
Thanks to Google translator widget (in the upper right of the blog ), you can now read my street style and Paris fashion week novels pictures in the language of your choice.

To celebrate that I posted 87 new photos from the Paris fashion week.

There are already 6000 photos online : 225 street style and 63 Paris fashion weeks photos novels.

Thank you all for your support, comments and links that has motivated me to make Style and the City the great Paris street style and fashion week blog you’d love to visit.
I love you all and wish you a very great week end.
I'm thrilled to read your comments

Cheers from Paris

Kamel LAHMADI
STYLE AND THE CITY. COM - PARIS

Hunters Glory said...

I is for 'Ingenious'

(Will promote your blog in tomorrow post)

Anonymous said...

Wow at those transparent designs. Very fash forward.

WendyB said...

Some of those shoes are calling to me.

Anonymous said...

wow anybody who thinks fashion is not an artform should be directed to these pieces! I love them all, especially the Marc Jacobs bag!

piero pierini said...

thanks for your comment in my blog.Drawings are pen and ink.do u design?

♥ Marta ♥ said...

WOW ... there are awesome.Not sure if clothes are wearable but they are definately beautiful ... as for shoes, those are super hot :)

Sienna said...

I love innovative clothing.. though I'm not entirely sure I'd pull it off, it's great to look at in photographs!

Nicole Linette said...

John Galliano + Balenciaga = Best innovation fashion has to offer. I love him and his work so much. Great finds.

peace&love
nicole.

Alison said...

that second dress is to die for!

Seeker said...

I think this new season has a few revolutionary things, some wearable, some not so.
But indeed theres lot of imagination and "innovation"

xoxo

Songy said...

that is a true Gautier fashion.. is that going to be used as some kind of a mobile jail? ha ha I love it!

michelle said...

You have an absolutely amazing blog, I especially love this post. Innovation is so important, and something most up-coming designers are lacking.

Wendy said...

I always always always love the shoe photos you post. Its like eye candy!

Victoria said...

re: aw, thank you... it's really a trouser-suite :P

Aliena said...

Oh, those Stella McCartney stilettos... fab post!

Sydney said...

i love the second and third pictures.

and that red dress is fabulous!

Pineapple Penguin said...

Oh my God the purple shoes... Soooo nice! (and your blog is nice too, by the way ;)

♔Jaimie said...

oh i LOVE the stella mccartney metal and satin shoe!

Anthea said...

I love that Trusardi dress! Have you noticed that pumps are becoming increasingly more crazy??!! The only thing is they seem to be more of a "limo shoe" lol but I love them! You know the crazy structured prada pumps that are popular now? I saw a model in them in one of the magazines and they had attached elastic bands so they would stay on !! I knew it !!

MakeupByRenRen said...

wow this reminds me of a project runway challenge...very innovative indeed!

Mrs.French said...

works of art....

Fashion_Girl22 said...

Wow, everything was so amazing and unique!

I love your blog <3

Danz said...

Hey CC, these are such interesting, unique looks!

I love all the intricate wiring details on the clothes and those shoes are so fabulously futuristic!

I remember posting about those amazing Dsquared lightning bolt heels a while ago - so cool!

I also really love that black and white pod-like necklace!

Thanks so much for your incredibly sweet and thoughtful comment CC! I really enjoy visiting your blog because you always have a wealth of research and gorgeous, inspirational clothes in your posts!

I encourage you to keep up the great work as well and have a great day :)

Syed said...

Totally unique but totally wonderful designs, love the first three!!! Loving the shoes too! Wonderful post as always :)

erin de la cruz said...

Hi, Ms. CC! I for Innovation. I is for I am LOVING THE CHANEL COUTURE! I say Karl definitely knows what Fashion Innovation At Its Finest means.

Unknown said...

Wow. That is one huge ass post! thanks for taking the time and effort to present us with all of those jumpsuits! those were my fave.

Doll legs said...

Love jumpers!!,and love all shoes!! xoxo

Guapóloga said...

Very impressive, what an imagination! Even though, I'm not really convinced about the plastic stuff, not very eco- friendly, actually.

Thanks for leave a message in my post!

Zoe

Pamcasso said...

I don't know where to start with this one, soo many covetable things. I'd take those Givenchy boots in a snap!

LuLu124 said...

woow so awesome!!! i totally adore that dior shoe <333 xoxo, lulu